Monday, November 16, 2015

"In the Garden" Alternate Words



Many Christians request that the beloved hymn, “In the Garden” be used at their memorial services. The author, C. Austin Miles, wrote it in 1912 while meditating on the account of Jesus talking with Mary Magdalene at the garden tomb on resurrection morning. Imagining Mary’s experience, Miles wrote about Jesus’ voice “falling on my ear,” and “He walks with me and He talks with me.”
            God speaks to His children today through the Bible, which has been written and translated, so that all civilized people now have access to everything pertaining to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3). With that in mind, consider these alternate words to the beautiful hymn tune that C. Austin Miles created:

I come to the garden alone,
With God’s living Word my companion;
And it gives me light as I take delight
Consuming daily manna.
[Refrain]

He speaks to my heart through His Word
As in fellowship I’m abiding;
And I trust Him more for each word is sure:
His truth my life is guiding.
[Refrain]

I’d stay in the garden all day
While His Word directs my behavior,
But it bids me go and to others show
The love of Christ my Savior.
[Refrain]

[Refrain:]
How He talks to me through the words I read,
Giving hope and comfort, and peace.
And I love Him more through the treasure store
Of wisdom that meets my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment