Saturday, April 17, 2010

John 3 dot dot 16

A second grade boy attended our church AWANA Club for the first time. I opened my Bible to coach him in memorizing a Bible verse.
He said, "I don't have a Bible. My mom doesn't have a Bible either. I'd like to have a Bible."
I said, "Work on learning this verse, and I'll be back." I got a brand new Bible from the church information counter and gave it to him.
He looked so amazed.
Then I thought of using the opportunity as a teaching moment. I asked him, "Why do you think I gave you that Bible?"
"Because I'm learning this.” He pointed to the verse.
"No. That's good, but that's not why I gave you a free gift. Why did I do that?"
"Because I did what you told me to?"
"Not really. I gave you something free. Why do you think I gave you a free Bible?"
He thought some more and then had an epiphany: "Because I wanted it?"
"Yes! And that's what God does too--He gives us the free gift of eternal life when we realize we need it and want it."
Then I used the "Cross Talk" pamphlet to explain that Jesus died on the cross to forgive our sins and give us eternal life when we trust Him for it. Not being familiar with the Bible, he read the Scripture reference like this: “John three dot dot sixteen.”
At the end He wanted to talk to God right away. He said: "God, can I have the free gift and go to heaven when I die and not have my sins anymore?"
Epiphany!
The Greek word for giving light.

No comments:

Post a Comment